What are car insurance discounts for affinity memberships and professions?
There are a couple of ways to earn discounts on car insurance quotes based on your occupation or on a different factor in relation to your occupation. Some insurance providers differentiate these classifications, while others simply loop them together. To make things easy, these discounts are simply called affinity/membership and professional discounts. Let’s explore.
What’s an affinity discount?
An Affinity Discount refers to when insurance companies offer discounts based on your membership to a common (and pre-approved) organization. This can be business organizations, clubs, fraternities or sororities.
What’s a profession-based discount?
A professional discount refers to when a person falls into a certain job that earns them a discount. This discount differs from an affinity group because not all companies require you to belong or pay dues to the club. For some companies, you automatically qualify based on your occupation. Typical jobs are:
Why do these discounts exist?
These types of discounts exist for a couple of reasons. Affinity/membership discounts follow the buying-in-bulk kind of mentality. Insurance companies offer these organizations discounted rates based on the belief they will encourage their members to purchase them. Thus, give them business. They get a customer and you get coverage. Win, win!
For the profession-based discount, the reason is slightly different. Some insurance companies look at members of certain professions as ideal clients. These occupations, which we will outline, are less likely to take risks that could lead to a potential claims payout by their insurance company. So, as a way to encourage these types of clients, insurance companies offer a discount.
How much can you expect to save?
These discounts aren’t meant to halve your car insurance premium. For that, you will have to do a little more work. On average, if you qualify for these discount (which depends on your company and your state), you can see a 3-5% savings or $40-$60/year. If you’re looking for ways to save on car insurance, consider how much you could be saving by switching companies. Only with The Zebra can you shop 200+ companies at once. Start saving today.
Compare quotes from over 100 top companies and start saving today!
- Customer Loyalty Discount for Car Insurance
- Senior Citizen Discounts for Car Insurance
- Anti-theft Device Discounts for Car Insurance
- How Dash Cams Affect Car Insurance
- Defensive Driving Discounts for Car Insurance
- Military Discounts for Car Insurance
- No-Claims Bonus Car Insurance
- Student Discount for Car Insurance
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.