What is an auto insurance policy?
Your car insurance policy determines your coverage and your premium. In short, it is a way to organize car insurance coverage options to meet your needs. In this article, we’ll outline some popular car insurance policy types as well as some popular policies that may not exist exactly as advertised.
Popular car insurance policy types
Below are some popular and standard car insurance policy classifications. You can purchase these policies from national and local insurance providers.
Company and state-specific policies
Below are policies often subject to state and company-specific requirements. These are not always available.
Commonly advertised policies
There are many policies that are advertised by insurance companies that don’t actually exist as marketed. Below are some policy types worth being aware of. If you're interested in these policies, follow the link to learn more about alternative options.
- Same-Day Car Insurance
- Temporary Car Insurance
- Weekend-Only Car Insurance
- Summer-Only Car Insurance
- Winter-Only Car Insurance
If you’re looking for other auto insurance policies, see the additional resources below!
- Is Car Insurance Mandatory?
- Consequences for Driving without a Policy
- How Long Can Someone Stay on Their Parents Policy?
- Car Insurance after a Canceled Policy
- Car Insurance after the Policyholder Dies
Ready to shop for insurance? See the following to get started.
How much would my car insurance be to transfer to a new individual policy from my family's insurance?
I live with mom and we have an umbrella policy and a car insurance policy. I want to switch companies but mom says I can't.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.