What is an auto insurance policy?
Your car insurance policy determines your coverage and your premium. In short, it is a way to organize car insurance coverage options to meet your needs. In this article, we’ll outline some popular car insurance policy types as well as some popular policies that may not exist exactly as advertised.
Popular car insurance policy types
Below are some popular and standard car insurance policy classifications. You can purchase these policies from national and local insurance providers.
Company and state-specific policies
Below are policies often subject to state and company-specific requirements. These are not always available.
- How Long Can You Stay on Your Parents' Car Insurance Policy?
- Car Insurance for Commuting
- AARP vs. AAA: Auto Insurance Comparison
- Can You Share Car Insurance?
- Pleasure Use vs. Commuter Car Insurance
- Car Insurance After a Policy Cancellation
- Car Insurance for Condo Owners
- Costco Car Insurance Review
- 12-Month Car Insurance: Pros and Cons
- Car Insurance with Kids
Is it mandatory to list my adult child on my policy if they live in my home but will not drive my vehicle?
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.