Pioneer State Mutual Insurance Review
- With 2.8/5 stars in 2023, Pioneer State Mutual is an average insurance company.
- Read Pioneer State Mutual reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
Pioneer State Mutual insurance: Ratings and reviews
Formed in 1908, Pioneer State Mutual's initial purpose was to protect farmers from bearing losses alone. They provide insurance for individuals, businesses and farms though independent agents. While Pioneer is only available in the state of Michigan, it boasts a low complaint average and good financial scores. This review will explore Pioneer State Mutual's coverage options, discounts, rates, and more.
Offers a broad spectrum of auto insurance coverage options.
Robust customer service with a personal touch.
Strong financial stability.
Limited geographic coverage, as it only serves Michigan.
Less digitized customer experience compared to larger, national providers.
Certain coverages or discounts might not be as comprehensive as those offered by larger competitors.
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey
In addition to third-party ratings, we like to incorporate the results from our own consumer survey where we ranked which auto insurance companies are the best based on feedback from real customers. However, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on Pioneer State Mutual for it to be included.
How much does Pioneer State Mutual Insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6 month car insurance policy is $880, whereas Pioneer State Mutual is about $966 or roughly 10% more expensive than a typical policy, making it a pricier option on average.
The table below shows how Pioneer State Mutual auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Similar to any insurance company, pricing for Pioneer State Mutual auto insurance does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get.
The table below shows Pioneer State Mutual's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
Pioneer State Mutual does not list available discounts on its website. They provide a disclaimer that discounts may vary based on specific requirements, but do not expand further. Customers must contact an insurance agent for more information on discounts.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverage does Pioneer State Mutual offer?
Pioneer State Mutual provides a wide range of standard auto insurance coverages such as liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Additional coverages can be found in the Pioneer Advantage package:
- New car replacement - If you purchased a car in the last six months and it has less than 15,000 miles on it, this coverage will replace it with the same make, model, and equipment if totaled.
- Trip interruption - If you get in an accident on a road trip, Pioneer will give you $100 per day for food and lodging if you're over 100 miles from home.
- Roadside assistance - Emergency roadside services, like towing, gas delivery and battery services, are available for disabled vehicles.
- Transportation expense - Also known as rental reimbursement, the cost of a rental car will be covered if your vehicle is rendered temporarily inoperable by a covered loss.
- Customized equipment - This coverage helps pay for the customizations you've made to your car.
Read more about Pioneer State Mutual's additional coverages here.
Pioneer State Mutual insurance review: Summary
To summarize, Pioneer State Mutual is a solid choice for those residing in Michigan looking for a locally focused provider with a personal touch in customer service. While it may not offer the broadest range of discounts or the most digitized customer experience, the company provides a good range of coverage options and shows a commitment to its policyholders. As always, prospective customers should compare quotes and coverage options from various insurers to ensure Pioneer State Mutual meets their unique needs.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
Pioneer State Mutual insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is Pioneer State Mutual a good insurance company?
Pioneer State Mutual is a good option for Michigan residents seeking a locally focused insurance provider with a personal approach to customer service, a good range of coverage options and strong financial stability. Those outside of Michigan or who prioritize a highly digitized and tech-savvy customer experience will find other national insurers more suitable.
Is Pioneer State Mutual legit?
Yes, Pioneer State Mutual Insurance is a legitimate insurance company that provides various insurance products, including auto, home, and business insurance, primarily serving customers in Michigan.
What is Pioneer State Mutual AM best rating?
A.M. Best gave Pioneer State Mutual a Superior financial strength, a positive indicator for its ability to pay out claims as well as its overall financial health.
Where is Pioneer State Mutual sold?
Pioneer State Mutual only sells policies in Michigan.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!