Why you can trust The Zebra
Comparing auto insurance in California and Idaho
If you're relocating from California to Idaho, you are probably fixated on the major concerns and big expenses: finding a reliable long-haul moving service, finding an abode in your new state, and physically moving across state lines.
Amidst the stress of a big move, it can be easy to forget the details. Car insurance is often treated as a detail, but it's a big one. To remain on the right side of the law, you should plan to update your policy — or find a new insurer altogether — when you move between states.
Check out our guide to car insurance in California versus Idaho to take some of the complexity out of the moving process. We'll cover:
- Insurance rate comparison
- Insurance rates by coverage level
- Affordable companies by state
- Rates in major cities
- Additional resources
California vs. Idaho car insurance — average rates
You should expect to pay less for auto insurance once you relocate. The average annual auto insurance rate in Idaho is $644 less expensive than the average cost in California. Keep in mind this cost depends on your coverage level, driving and insurance history, and your auto insurance company.
AUTO INSURANCE RATES IN CALIFORNIA VS. IDAHO
|Location||Average Annual Premium|
Average car insurance costs by coverage level
How much you shell out for auto insurance depends on how you use your vehicle and what level of coverage you desire.
If you select state minimum liability coverage, you'll have bodily injury, property damage liability, and medical payment coverages, along with uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage and personal injury protection in some states.
CAR INSURANCE RATES FOR BASIC LIABILITY COVERAGE IN CALIFORNIA vs. IDAHO
Upgrading to full-coverage auto insurance will cost more, but you’ll get the peace of mind that comes with collision and comprehensive coverages, as well as rental reimbursement and roadside assistance. The most notable benefit of full coverage is that it insures your vehicle and you more comprehensively than does minimum liability coverage. If you are willing to spend more up front to protect your investment, consider bumping up your policy to full coverage.
CAR INSURANCE RATES — FULL COVERAGE IN CALIFORNIA vs. IDAHO
Cheap car insurance companies in California and Idaho
A primary determinant of your auto insurance costs is the auto insurance company you choose. Insurance companies set rates in a number of ways, leading to substantial variations in pricing. Geography also matters: some insurers only sell policies in certain states, while bigger insurance companies' rates differ by state.
When moving across state lines, it's critical to find the best cheap car insurance company offering policies in your new location. Get your research started below by viewing the five cheapest auto insurance companies in California and Idaho.
CHEAP CAR INSURANCE COMPANIES IN CALIFORNIA
|Car Insurance Company||Average Annual Rate|
AFFORDABLE CAR INSURANCE COMPANIES IN IDAHO
|Insurance Company||Average Annual Rate|
Car insurance rates by city in California and Idaho
Although car insurance is legislated on a state-by-state level, insurance companies price rates by ZIP code to account for unique factors such as density and the likelihood of a crash. The location to which you move will play a big part in deciding your rates.
View the below tables to see auto insurance rates in major cities in Idaho and California.
AUTO INSURANCE COSTS BY CITY IN CALIFORNIA
|City||Average Annual Rate|
Check out a longer list of insurance rates in California cities.
AUTO INSURANCE RATES BY CITY IN IDAHO
|City||Average Annual Rate|
Is your new home not listed above? View rates in smaller Idaho cities.
More information on moving from California to Idaho
When moving from California to Idaho, you’ll encounter new rules of the road, different SR-22 or FR-44 requirements, and more. Make sure your move is as easy as possible with The Zebra's data on your new state:
- New York vs. California State Comparison
- Illinois vs. Texas State Comparison
- California vs. Nevada State Comparison
- New York vs. Colorado State Comparison
- Connecticut vs. California State Comparison
- New York vs. New Jersey State Comparison
- Texas vs. Colorado State Comparison
- Connecticut vs. Florida State Comparison
- Illinois vs. Florida State Comparison
- California vs. Texas State Comparison
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.