A Nationwide company, Allied Insurance was founded in 1929 and operates out of Des Moines, Iowa. Allied offers many different types of insurance coverage, including automobile, homeowners, life, and more. Find out if Allied is right for you by reading our Allied Insurance review and the breakdown of coverage options and discounts they offer.
Allied Insurance Review
Allied earned an overall score of 3.5/5 in The Zebra's review. Read more below to find out if they're the right carrier for you.
Why you can trust The Zebra
The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed agents. Reference our data methodology and learn more about how we make money.
Allied Insurance at a glance
Allied Insurance review
JD Power Rating — Not rated: Allied was not included in JD Power's 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
Financial strength — Excellent: You can expect your assets to remain in good hands, as Allied earned an A+ rating from AM Best.
NAIC Rating — Average: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners rates Allied as having an average amount of customer complaints.
Allied car insurance coverage options
Allied offers standard coverage options offered by other auto insurance companies such as bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision and comprehensive, gap coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and personal injury protection where applicable.
In addition, Allied Insurance offers a number of other policy types, rewards, and discounts that allow you to customize coverage to your particular needs.
Rental reimbursement (basic loss of use)
In addition to the many standard available coverages, rental reimbursement covers the cost of a rental car or other transportation — including public transportation — if the usability of your car is affected by an accident. Allied offers complimentary enhancement to this coverage — known as Rental Days Plus — to allow unlimited rental car coverage. Rental Days Plus is a free enhancement to the Basic Loss of Use coverage that can provide unlimited rental car coverage.
With an Allied policy, you can choose from a selection of available rewards. Check out the following list to see the rewards on offer.
Accident and violation forgiveness
Allied offers two distinct types of forgiveness:
- Accident forgiveness ensures that your rates won’t go up after an accident if your record has been otherwise clear. It allows one such accident every three years per policy.
- Minor violation forgiveness keeps your rates from rising after a minor infraction or ticket. You are allowed one such violation per driver during a three-year period.
This coverage has two phases. First is the new car replacement coverage, which stays in place until your car is three years old, providing money for a brand new car should your vehicle be totaled. After the three-year mark, this turns into gap coverage, which accounts for the difference between the accident settlement and what you owe on your loan.
If you suffer a breakdown or other trouble while on the road, Allied offers different levels of roadside assistance. Each tier of assistance is available even if the car is not on your policy. Also, it covers all non-excluded relatives who live with you, even if they are in a car that isn’t yours.
There are two tiers of assistance, both of which contain what Allied call Cross Country Perks, which is a nation-wide discount program. These discounts can be applied at select retail shops, restaurants, and hotels. Read more about what’s offered in each tier below.
Roadside assistance – basic:
- Towing up to 15 miles
- Fuel delivery
- Lockout coverage
- Jump starts
- Flat tires
- Cross country perks
- Cost: about $10 per six-month policy period
Roadside assistance – plus:
- Up to 100 miles in towing
- Trip interruption
- Turn-by-turn directions
- Pre-map routing
- Fuel delivery
- Lockout coverage
- Jump starts
- Flat tires
- Cross country perks
- Cost: about $20 per six-month policy period
Deductible savings rewards
Allied offers two kinds of deductible savings: vanishing deductible and the total loss deductible waiver. These optional coverages can save you money in the event of a loss.
- Vanishing deductible: This coverage offers you the chance to earn a smaller deductible through safe driving. With each year that you go accident-free, you can save $100 off your deductible, up to $500 total.
- Total loss deductible waiver: A deductible waiver allows you forego paying your deductible in the event that your vehicle is totaled.
Allied car insurance discounts
Allied offers various discounts for policyholders. Check out some of the ways in which you can save money.
- Multi-policy discount:If you add a life insurance policy through Allied, or bundle your auto and homeowners insurance policies, you can save on your monthly premiums.
- Multi-vehicle discount: You can save money when you insure multiple vehicles through Allied.
- New vehicle discount: With a newer vehicle you can pay lower premiums.
- Accident-free discount: Keep a clean driving record and you could receive a discount for each year you go accident-free.
- Good student discount: Full-time students can earn lower rates with a 'B' average or better.
- Easy pay discount: Get a one-time discount by signing up for automatic payments.
- Prior carrier discount: You can be eligible for a discount just by switching to Allied from another carrier.
- Farm Bureau discount: As a customer of the Farm Bureau, you may be able to receive a discount on premiums for your personal or business auto insurance. These discounts are available in California, Delaware, Ohio, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.
- 12-month rate lock: While many companies can only guarantee a rate lock of six months, Allied gives you the chance to lock in your rates for a full 12 months with an annual policy term.
The Allied extra
Allied offers extra benefits when you bundle home and automobile insurance. These extras are provided free of charge as a perk of having multiple policies with Allied.
- One deductible: If your automobile and home are affected by the same event, you will pay only one deductible.
- Bonus emergency lockout coverage: Allied will cover locksmith expenses should you be locked out of your car or home.
- Bonus airbag replacement: In the event of an accidental airbag deployment, Allied will pay to replace it.
- Bonus accidental death coverage: Should you perish in a covered accident with your vehicle, Allied will pay a benefit of $10,000.
Additional lines of insurance
|Car||Homeowners insurance||Life insurance|
|Motorcycle||Renters insurance||Pet insurance|
|Boat insurance||Condo insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|RV insurance||Travel trailer||Business insurance|
Is Allied car insurance right for you?
Allied has a wide array of offerings for the average driver. Their discounts aren’t as robust as some, but the company benefits from a strong financial rating and a generally favorable customer service rating, which makes sense considering that their parent company is Nationwide. If you are looking for the cheapest car insurance, or indeed other types of coverage like home or business insurance, it could still be worth your while to shop around to find the best insurance rates. The Zebra can help you find more company reviews and insurance quotes from a variety of different insurance providers to help you track down the right auto insurance policy for you.
Find the right policy in only a few minutes.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.