Auto-Owners Insurance Review 2021
Headquartered in Lansing, Michigan, Auto-Owners Insurance Company has provided insurance for more than 100 years. The company is active in 26 states and is represented by thousands of independent agents. Though its name might imply otherwise, Auto-Owners Insurance actually offers a wide variety of insurance products. Its car insurance products are consistently top-rated, according to JD Power, and the company's home, life, and business insurance options continually receive great reviews.
Continue reading our Auto-Owners Insurance review to learn more about coverage options, customer satisfaction, and available discounts.
Auto-Owners car insurance options
Thanks to Auto-Owners' status as one of the top car insurance companies in terms of customer satisfaction, policyholders can expect a variety of coverage options and a smooth claims process. The company offers standard coverages such as liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, medical payments, and personal injury protection (PIP). However, the company also offers a variety of options policyholders can add to further personalize their coverage, which you can read about below.
Auto-Owners' 24-hours-a-day roadside assistance service covers you in a variety of situations, including if you lock your keys in your car or suffer a flat tire or dead battery. It extends to all 50 states and Canada.
This coverage steps in to help pay for a rental car or expenses incurred if you are stranded away from home. This can include costs like food and lodging.
The resale value of your vehicle can be severely affected if you are in an accident. This coverage ensures that you are compensated for the full value of your vehicle.
Personal automobile plus package
This package includes a number of additional benefits to protect you from identity theft, and coverage for getting new keys and even replacing your cell phone.
Specialty auto insurance options at Auto-Owners
Sometimes vehicles fit into a unique category. Auto-Owners Insurance offers special coverage types for the following classes of automobiles:
Classic cars need different coverage than more modern vehicles. A classic car auto policy can be much cheaper and offer the protection that your vintage auto needs.
Automobiles that have been converted or otherwise modified can sometimes be hard to insure. Whether it’s adding a wheelchair lift or another mobility modification, Auto-Owners Insurance provides coverage options that suit unique needs.
Auto-Owners car insurance discounts
Auto-Owners Insurance offers a number of ways to save money on your auto policy. Below, you’ll find a rundown of their discount options.
- Multi-policy discount: Bundle multiple policies with Auto-Owners to find savings on your premiums.
- Life multi-policy discount: Save money by pairing an Auto-Owners life insurance policy with your auto policy.
- Payment history: If you’ve paid your premium on time for at least 36 months, you can receive a discount.
- Paid-in-full discount: Pay your annual premium in full at the beginning of your policy to find savings.
- Green discount: If you go paperless with your billing and make payments online you could receive a discount.
- Advance quote: Any new applicant who requests an insurance quote prior to their policy’s effective date can receive a discount.
- Multi-car: Having more than one vehicle on your policy can mean a lower premium.
- Safety feature discounts: Safety features like anti-lock brake systems (ABS) or anti-theft devices could qualify you for a discount.
- Deductibles:If you choose a higher deductible, you could see a reduced policy premium.
- Favorable loss history:If your driving history is relatively clean, you could see big savings.
Auto-Owners student discounts
Insuring young drivers on your policy can lead to more expensive monthly premiums. However, Auto-Owners Insurance offers the following discounts for policyholders with teenage and young adult drivers. See more info about car insurance for students here.
- Good student discount: Studentswith grade-point averages of “B” or better could save up to 20% with this discount.
- Student away at school discount: If your student is attending school more than 100 miles from your home, and doesn’t have a vehicle, you could be eligible for a discount.
- Teen driver monitoring discount: Install a Global Positioning System (GPS) in your teenager’s vehicle to see potential savings.
Auto-Owners homeowners insurance options
Auto-Owners Insurance provides all the standard home insurance options that you would expect from a major carrier. This includes coverage for your primary dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, and personal liability.
The company generally receives favorable reviews for its homeowners insurance product. One of the many strengths of Auto-Owners Insurance homeowners coverage is how customizable it is. Policyholders can add a number of endorsements to their coverage to fit their personal needs. Find below a rundown of Auto-Owners' coverage options, including homeowners insurance for high-value homes.
Optional homeowners insurance coverage
Here are additional coverage options that can be added to an Auto-Owners home insurance policy:
This package covers extra damages related to appliance failure and increases limits for a variety of other coverages.
Guaranteed home replacement cost
Sometimes the cost to rebuild can be higher than your homeowners insurance coverage limits. This addition ensures that you can have your home rebuilt to the same standard it was before.
Water backup of sewers or drains
Special personal property coverage
This expands coverage for your personal property.
Ordinance or law coverage
Sometimes, local ordinances or laws regulate the construction, repair, or demolition of your property. This coverage pays if local ordinance or law require you to make significant changes to your property.
This coverage kicks in when mechanical or electrical issues cause the failure of equipment such as major appliances, computers, or air conditioning units.
Identity theft expense coverage
If you're a victim of identity theft, this coverage will provide up to $15,000 for expenses related to restoration.
Auto-Owners insurance coverage options for high-value homes
Some homes have unique insurance needs. This is especially true when the home is of significant value. Along with the endorsements above, Auto-Owners Insurance has special coverage options for high-value homes, including the following:
Increased cost endorsement
In the event that your limits aren’t enough to cover the full cost of the replacement of your home, this coverage provides up to an additional 25% of your coverage amount for repairing or replacing your home.
Personal property and valuables
This covers high-value items such as fine art, jewelry, and collections at what’s known as an agreed value loss settlement.
Underground service lines are protected in the event they are damaged by rust, general wear-and-tear, or other perils.
Special personal property coverage
Provides expanded coverage for your personal possessions, including additional causes of loss such as misplacement.
Auto-Owners home insurance discounts
Auto-Owners Insurance offers customers a number of discounts to help you save on a homeowners insurance policy.
- Multi-policy discount: Receive discounts when you have other qualifying policies with Auto-Owners.
- Life multi-policy discount: Save on your premiums when you have a life insurance policy with Auto-Owners.
- Payment history: Pay on time and see savings.
- Paid-in-full discount: Save more if you pay your annual policy premium in full.
- Green discount: Paperless billing and online payments can help you save.
- Advance quote: Get a quote before your policy starts and you could be eligible for a discount.
- Protective devices discount: Devices like smoke detectors and fire extinguishers could make you eligible for this discount.
- Water shut-off system discount: Installing a system that automatically turns off your home’s water supply when a leak is detected could lead to savings.
- Automatic backup generator discount: Discounts could be available for those with a generator.
- Mortgage-free discount: If your home is paid off, you could see savings on insurance.
- Deductibles: Higher deductibles lead to lower insurance rates.
- Favorable loss history: Keep your claims few and far between to see savings on your policy.
Additional lines of insurance
As stated above, Auto-Owners Insurance doesn’t limit itself to car insurance. Below you’ll find a number of other insurance products available from the company.
Is Auto-Owners Insurance right for you?
In general, those with Auto-Owners policies tend to be fairly happy with their coverage. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s the right company for you. If your priority is to simply find the cheapest insurance rate, you may be able to find more affordable coverage elsewhere.
It never hurts to shop around when searching for a new insurance policy. Take some time to look into coverage options and customer reviews of multiple carriers, and remember that you can get free insurance quotes that can lead you to an insurance policy that’s right for you. The Zebra is a convenient way to compare over 100 insurance quotes at the same time. Simply enter your ZIP code below to get started.