Esurance Insurance Review
- With 3.0/5 stars in 2023, Esurance is an average insurance company.
- Read Esurance reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
Esurance insurance: Ratings and reviews
Backed by parent company Allstate, Esurance sells home, auto, renters, and motorcycle insurance throughout the US. Esurance was founded in 1999 in San Francisco, California. Esurance's online quoting process advertises speedy car insurance quotes and low insurance rates. However, it's worth noting that at the time of this writing, it does not appear that Esurance is writing new policies. The online quote process brings users back to Allstate.
The company offers an array of discounts and savings programs in order to provide affordable premiums. Esurance's DriveSense telematics program rewards safe driving habits with as much as $100 in savings for policyholders. Let’s explore if Esurance is a solid choice in terms of financial stability, claims satisfaction, and customer satisfaction.
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey
Third party ratings are a critical component in our reviews, but we also like to include results from our own customer satisfaction survey. Feedback from real customers revealed the best auto and home insurance companies for several factors. However, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on Esurance for it to be included.
How much does Esurance insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6 month car insurance policy is $880, whereas Esurance is about $1031 or roughly 17% more expensive than a typical policy. While it's not the cheapest auto insurance options available, it can be a worthy competitor. The table below shows how Esurance auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Like all insurance companies, Esurance rates vary based on age (and a variety of other factors) and will generally will get cheaper the older you get.
The table below shows Esurance's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
Esurance has a number of programs and rewards to help you save on your auto insurance. Below are some of their main initiatives. All insurance discounts and programs are subject to state requirements.
- DriveSense - Esurance advertises its clients save an average of $100 per policy via DriveSense telematics
- Multi-policy discount - By carrying more than one line of insurance with Esurance, you can earn a multi-policy discount
- Claim-free discount - You can earn this discount if all drivers on the policy have been claim- and DUI/DWI-free for at least five years and the driver listed on the policy has at least five years of driving experience.
Esurance offered a long list of discount opportunities when the company was actively writing policies. Now that they have transitioned their quote process back to Allstate, it is not clear which discounts may apply to Esurance customers.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverage does Esurance offer?
Esurance provides all the basic auto insurance coverage options. Aside from liability, collision, and comprehensive coverages, Esurance has some additional products worth considering.
- Emergency roadside service - If you have comprehensive and collision coverage through Esurance, this coverage can be included as an add-on for a small additional fee.
- Rental car coverage - This coverage pays for rental fees if your vehicle is undrivable. The unique aspect of Esurance’s program is that it covers your rental costs if you're involved in a collision and your car ends up in the shop for repairs. Most policies will only provide coverage after an accident. In order to qualify for rental car coverage, you need to have collision and comprehensive coverages on your policy.
- Rideshare coverage - If you’re a driver for Lyft or Uber, you can add rideshare coverage to your policy. This coverage would provide coverage when you’re driving as a rideshare driver. This coverage only applies when you’re working for Uber or Lyft but have not accepted a ride request yet. After this stage, your Uber or Lyft coverage applies.
Read more about Esurance's coverages here.
DriveSense is Esurance’s usage-based insurance program. Esurance uses your mobile device to track the way you drive in order to better price your policy. Avoid harsh braking, speeding, and late-night trips to save on your premiums. Esurance advertises its clients save an average of $100 per policy via DriveSense.
Esurance insurance review: Summary
Ultimately, Esurance is an average-rate insurance company that offers standard car insurance coverage and little extras. Its Allstate backing helps its credibility, however it appears Allstate may be quietly retiring the brand as customers are returned to the Allstate webpage when trying to receive an Esurance quote. The Zebra believes that while Esurance might once have been a solid choice, it is now best advised to look elsewhere for new policies.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
Esurance insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is Esurance a good insurance company?
Esurance, now backed by Allstate, offers standard car insurance at an average price with few extras. However, Allstate seems to be phasing out the brand, redirecting Esurance quote seekers to the Allstate site. The Zebra believes that while Esurance might once have been a solid choice, it is now best to look elsewhere for new policies.
Who owns Esurance?
Esurance is owned by Allstate who is in the process of phasing out the brand and directing Esurance customers to the Allstate brand.
Does Esurance have renters or home insurance?
Yes, Esurance offers both renters and homeowners insurance, in addition to their auto insurance products.
Does Esurance cover rental cars?
Esurance offers CarMatch Rental Coverage that guarantees you will get a rental car that's in the same category as your vehicle if your car is stolen or in the shop after an accident.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!
Customer Questions about Esurance
Other people are also asking...
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.