When you got in the car as a child, you probably spent the drive looking out the window. On family road trips, you listened to the radio, read books, and watched the world outside fly by for hours on end.
Kids today have more sources of entertainment than ever before. Between tablets and smartphones, they have their favorite movies, games, and music readily available in the palm of their hands. In fact, it’s hard to take them anywhere without bringing along an arsenal of tech gadgets to keep them occupied.
Imagine how much more enjoyable the ride could be for everyone if you could tune into something that provided quality entertainment with valuable life lessons while you drive.
We’ve compiled a list of the best kid-friendly — and parent-friendly — podcasts to listen to in the carpool line, on your way home from school or just about anywhere! These podcasts are perfect to enjoy with your kids, with genres suiting interest and age.
Check out our infographic on the 12 best podcasts for kids, organized by the ages that will love each podcast the most. The ages are just suggestions — you may find yourself loving them too!
More Great Podcasts for Kids
Can’t get enough of these great podcasts for kids? Don’t worry — we’ve compiled even more podcasts to binge in the carpool line, on your way to soccer practice or on your next family road trip!
Follow the links below to enjoy these podcasts on iTunes — each has over 4 stars!
Music and Literature Lovers
- Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child: Jam out to rock-and-roll for kids of all ages (and parents who are sick of listening to the same kids’ tunes over and over again).
- Classical Classroom: For Beethoven and Tchaikovsky fans among us, musician Dacia Clay shares engaging lessons about classical music.
- Ear Snacks: Award-winning musicians Andrew and Polly sing silly songs and chat about fun topics like animals and music!
- Book Club for Kids: Perfect for any little literature lover, young readers chat about their favorite reads and interview authors.
- Stuff You Should Know:Why do we get itchy? This podcast has an answer for pretty much everything. Some episodes may not be appropriate for young children.
- Tumble: Learn from actual scientists who talk about their research and discoveries.
- The Past and the Curious: These fun— and true — stories from history each have inspiring lessons about achievement, diversity and what it means to be human.
- But Why: Led by kids, this podcast tackles topics of all kinds for inquiring minds.
- Wow in the World: Get the latest science news, from deep space to our own brains, with this awesome podcast. It's great for teens and adults too!
- Brains On!: This award-winning show encourages natural curiosity using science.
- Saturday Morning Theatre: Cowboys and superheroes and mysteries galore! Tune in to these imaginative adventures that are fun for the whole family.
- Circle Round: Enjoy the many cultures of the world with this podcast that explores international folk stories with great lessons.
- This Podcast Has Fleas: In the classic rivalry of cats versus dogs, who will come out on top in the daily comedic drama of Jones the cat and Waffles the dog?
- What If World: For the kiddos with never-ending questions, this podcast may actually have the answers. Call the show to ask your own questions too!
- Story Pirates: Celebrities act out original stories written by kids. This show has become a budding comedian’s platform for bigger shows likeSaturday Night Live!
- Little Stories for Tiny People: These short and whimsical stories are sure to please.
Lessons in Relaxation and Patience
- Peace Out: Perfect for kids who need some serious relaxation, this podcast is a great calming activity for any situation.
- The Official Adventures in Odyssey Podcast: With a focus on faith, the characters in this podcast are sure to entertain!
- Sesame Street Podcast: Everyone’s favorite Muppets get into their usual mischief while teaching lessons about patience and friendship.
Growth and Empowerment
- Kids Like You and Me: This inclusivity-focused podcast gently guides kids through topics like bullying, acceptance, disabilities, and kindness.
- The History Chicks: Cultivate independence and determination with these biographies of amazing women in history.
- Five Minutes with Dad: Hosted by a father and his two children, this podcast focuses on simple lessons like courage and generosity with a good dose of dad humor.
- Dream Big: Eva, a 4th-grader, interviews celebrities and inspires kids — and adults — to follow their dreams and passions.
Adventurous and Exciting
- Eleanor Amplified: Tag along with journalist Eleanor, who goes on some wild adventures looking for her next story.
- The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd: Will Dr. Floyd foil the plans of his evil arch-nemesis? Find out while learning about the science and history of the Earth!
- The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel: This epic mystery series will keep listeners on the edge of their seats!
- The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian: Explore new planets, meet aliens, and solve mysteries with this thrilling series.
From science and technology to lessons about friendship and kindness, these podcasts are sure to keep kids of all ages engaged and inspired no matter where they listen. They’re great for entertaining kids on the way to and from school, on a road trip or before bedtime.
If you’re driving while listening with your kids, be sure to stay focused on the road — you may love these podcasts so much you miss your exit! Stay safe by monitoring your surroundings, keeping your car insurance up to date and driving defensively.