Forbes is known for its lists. We won’t attempt to count the times Oprah or Taylor Swift have topped any number of Forbes list of high earners. And Mark Zuckerberg was on at least eight Forbes lists in 2016 alone. He was also named to the Forbes 30 Under 30 list several years ago. And speaking of that particular list, this year’s 30 Under 30 class includes some of our own.
We’re a tight-knit team here at The Zebra, so when the news came in last week that The Zebra’s co-founders Adam (CEO) and Josh (COO) made Forbes’ annual list of “game changers” under age 30, we were humbled… and freakin’ psyched!
For the 2017 class, Adam and Josh are in the company of Olympic gold medalists, White House officials, and even a Kardashian (well, Jenner). And Forbes 30 Under 30 alumni include Mark Zuckerberg, Jennifer Lawrence, and LeBron James, not to mention real Nobel Peace Prize Winners, inventors, policymakers, and others changing the world.
See the press release here.
We’ve always known Adam and Josh are “game changers” as they’ve carved out a whole new world of insurance and made a complicated (but necessary) process for consumers a whole lot easier. And now we’re proud to see the incredible recognition this award brings to their efforts.
(And yes, they’re only 29 years old.)
Meet Two of the Forbes 30 Under 30
Who is Adam Lyons?
Adam is a Pittsburgh native who dropped out of high school at age 15, decrying the structure despite an exceptional report card. He then held a series of odd jobs before returning to school to study risk management and insurance at Temple University. Through his studies and work experience, Lyons observed a broken insurance process that left consumers in the lurch. He started The Zebra with Josh in 2012 to simplify auto insurance and help people find the right coverage and pricing for their needs.
Who is Joshua Dziabiak?
Josh grew up in rural Pennsylvania and felt a similarly early entrepreneurial instinct, particularly among his family of small business owners. When he was 14, he used his 56K dial-up Internet connection and was enthralled with how the technology could connect anyone in the world. He began designing websites for other local businesses and then sold his business a few years later. He went on to start several other businesses, including event management platform ShowClix, before meeting Adam and co-founding The Zebra.
30 Things You Didn’t Know about Adam & Josh:
- In elementary school, he put the school librarian out of business by opening a competing candy stand business.
- He once got his real estate license and sold several houses.
- He knows a thing or two about cars, and paid his way through college by buying cars on Craigslist, repairing and flipping them for a profit.
- His dream mentor is Elon Musk.
- He has worked as a dishwasher, line cook, and in a factory manufacturing boxes… and has gotten fired from most of his jobs.
- He was named to INC. Magazine’s 30 Under 30 List in 2015.
- He earned top grades in school, but resented the structure and rules, and once caused a professor to write an “Adam Lyons Rule” for stricter attendance.
- He wants to be in the World Series of Poker.
- He was a top goal scorer in the Southwest Collegiate Hockey League for Temple University.
- He once bought a one-way ticket to Colombia and spent several months traveling South America before starting The Zebra.
- Christmas music season can’t come soon enough! More sleigh bells!
- At karaoke, he’d opt for Drake’s “Hold On, We’re Going Home” OR Vanessa Carlton’s “1,000 Miles.”
- He once wanted to be a lawyer at one time and even took the LSAT.
- He recently took his mother and brother on a two-week trip to France.
- His tip for prospective entrepreneurs: “Be persistent and stubborn while knowing when and how to adapt.”
- He only owns one suit and he’s only worn it once. (You can’t get into Lloyd’s of London without one!)
- He launched his first company at age 14 from his bedroom at his parents’ house and has since launched several others.
- He was named to INC. Magazine 30 Under 30 List in 2010.
- He is most at peace near the ocean and would love to live by the water.
- His pet peeve is when people get on the elevator before others get out.
- He never went to college and instead considers the boardroom his classroom.
- He uses on-demand or subscription services for almost all his meals, and his favorite takeout order is Pad See-Ew.
- At karaoke, he would sing Justin Timberlake’s “Sexy Back” (probably reluctantly).
- He believes strongly in big data and analyzing trends, but also in knowing when and how to use his gut.
- He has a special talent for balancing things (and can allegedly balance a chair on his chin).
- He has an Italian greyhound named Izzy.
- He hates dirty shoes and obsessively cleans his (and others’)!
- He once starred on a reality TV show as an undercover intern sharing real tips for struggling businesses.
- He actually enjoys appliance shopping (refrigerators, dishwashers, blenders, etc.).
- His tip for prospective entrepreneurs: “You never get it right the first time – and rarely on the second. Don’t give up, learn and iterate quickly.”